Friday, September 4, 2009

Sleeping Woes...


Warning--I need to vent today....
The sleep situation at our house has been horrible lately. Nobody wants to sleep!!! (Except Chris and I of course) I know that many households with small children are plagued by similar problems but I really think my kids are gifted at this task--staying awake and resisting sleep that is. Elena is seven months old now and still waking 4-5 times a night for various reasons among them being (as far as I can tell) I'm tired...I'm hungry...I'm cold...I'm hot...a car drove by and made a noise...daddy is snoring too loud...etc.. I've started to call her Princess Pea--you know, the fairy-tale story about the princess who was so darn picky that she couldn't sleep under all these mattresses because there was a pea underneath--yeah.
Joshua on the other hand, has been sleeping great since Lena was born. I have to add though, that he didn't sleep through the night until his second birthday. Mind you, my definition of sleeping through the night is defined as the child doesn't require me to get out of bed all night to do anything, not necessarily that the child actually stays asleep--which Josh never has done. And, I'd also like to add that Joshua was a notoriously BAD sleeper in his baby day. I would say up every hour until he was three months and every two-three hours until he was about a year old. And that was when I could get him to sleep in the first place! No napping either for this kid--Two or three fifteen minute cat-naps a day and that was it thank you very much...ugh.
Ahhhh, my children have a gift. Not really the kind of gift I'd like them to have. Ok, lets get serious now people--I have a birthday coming up next week and I'd love nothing more than a few hours of sleep. So even though I'm always a little shy to ask for specific gifts for birthday/Christmas--I will post my request here: No presents please, come and get my kids so I can get a nap!!! Or a gift card for some coffee--that works too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sleep sucks - I keep hoping by the time they are 4 and 6 I will eventually get an entire weeks worth of 8 hour nights. Or when they are 18 and 20 and in college:)

Will Elana cry it out? This hasn't worked as well with Meg as it did with Wes, but it's worth a shot