I promise next time I'll post something other than Josh stuff--there really has been a lot of other things going on around here. Like, a few weeks ago, we got a new car. It's bright red and Josh and I look super cool driving around town. It's got a ton of room in the back, and best of all, 33mpg is about what I've been getting with it. Pretty sweet.
Anyway, back to Josh--we went to see a developmental pediatrician at this clinic we found through his last speech therapist (who we won't be working with since this new clinic took Josh on as a patient). He was given a tentative diagnosis of Pervasive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified. It's not autism, but it's similar in ways. Basically, it sounds like they're saying...'Well, it's not autism, but there are some mild symptoms charactaristic of autism...and there's definately something going on here..." My mom brought up a very good point when she said that they probably needed a diagnosis of something to get insurance to pay for everything Josh will be going through in the next couple years. Which brings me to treatment: Josh will see his developmental pediatrician every couple of months, he'll see a speech therapist and a psychologist also through this same clinic. The school district we live in is also coming out to do an assessment to qualify him for regular home visits and maybe an early childhood development preschool--which I think would be super cool because most of the preschools around here won't take kids until they're good and potty-trained and age 3.
I'm not really freaking out about all of this, but it has been difficult and I'm just starting to come to terms with the fact that I have a special needs child and will have to do a lot of work to get him ready for kindergarten. It seems strange though--all of this because he's just not talking very much. And he is talking more and more each day, just not very much. I'm glad we're doing this though. When it comes to things like this, the earlier the better, right? Thank goodness for great health care! Thanks Chris!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Hey-
I can't imagine the stress that you are experiencing right now but you know that things are going to work out. It is great that you have so many resources open to you. Josh has always been social like you said - now he will learn to put words to everything which may be a blessing or a curse:) We miss you tons and think of you often! I'll call soon-
Post a Comment